User Experience Case Study
According to Statista there are 25 million people who
professionally participate in basketball in the USA.
High school basketball in the USA is a high growing market
with annual participants over .5 million high school basketball
players each year.
Over .4 million boys and .35 million girls have participated in
high school basketball in the past 1 year. The numbers are
growing incredibly year by year.
The above mentioned statistics highlight a gap of a potential
hidden market, “ which is that the players at high school
basketball can be given much more attention and emphasis
through more digital recognition ”.
There are certain platforms and websites, which specifically
give emphasis to budding college level basketball players and
NBA G league players. The websites highlights the following
benefits for the players:
● Their college interests and other basketball team offers.
● Professional statistics and analysis of their performance
(shooting range, shooting percentage etc.)
● A wide recognition over social media channels.
● Professionals video recorders and video journalists
assisting basketball players.
The above mentioned and among many other benefits do not
exist for high school basketball players.
A mobile based sports application, which will be specifically
built to help High school basketball players and which will
provide all the information that will help them to excel.
The application will provide them the following benefits (for
● The statistical analysis and deep insights of their
individual and overall performance against each team.
Video portal and Subscription Model
● High School Basketball players can submit their videos
on our platform.
We have learnt from our social media
presence that basketball players might like to get their
videos out so that the videos of their respective play can
be noticed by coaches and recruiting teams . We
understand that this is something that we can leverage
and monetize from it.
For which we have designed this subscription model:
“The $35 highlight package is ~59 sec IG video + promotion
on our page & the other is the spotlight package which is
~59sec IG video, 1 minute YouTube video.
The media page with video attached & clips + promotion all for
Providing Interests to High School Basketball Players
● The application will also act as a facilitator for players and
recruiting teams who are actively looking for the right
high school basketball player who can represent their
The application will provide a creative visualization of all
the High School Teams, their past performances, their
schedule of the matches and leading scoreboards and stats.
(Source taken from NBA G league
mobile application )
Here are is the specific demographic and lookalike that we
would be targeting for our interview and user research:
High Basketball Player : Will Smythe
Age Demographic (14 -18 years) : 18 year
Actively Looking for recruitment : Yes
Could he be the potential player for who might benefit
from our platform? : Yes
1. Interview Questions
In order to get more in depth about mobile application for
high school basketball players, I have designed a set of more
The questions will help to cover what the user needs, their
expectations and the changes we might require in our
existing mobile application.
Based on the above mentioned demographics, here are some
of the questions that would be helpful in understanding the
● What platforms would you like to use to showcase your
basketball skills and performance to recruiting coaches and
recruiting college teams?
● What tools do you use to understand the statistical part of your
● If not, what tools will help you to understand the statistical part of
your individual performance?
● What type of videos (or any other form of content) do you think
will highlight your performance at its best?
(This will help in understanding the social media network that
can work most for the players and accordingly we can incentivize
the video platform)
● Would you be interested in knowing your sharp areas and need
to work upon areas through deep insights? (in addition to
question number 2)
● Would you be interested in knowing about the platform, which
provides in depth details about high school basketball teams,
their stats, their recruitment procedure?
● What do you think the recruiting coaches look for?
● Reasons to opt for or to not for a digital portal for recruitment?
● Which social media platform do you think can work better for you
in order to highlight your performance?
● Would be interested in accessing the mobile application that
provides the schedule of all ongoing high school matches across
( For example, The Grind Session, which highlights the play of
dominant high school basketball teams)
● How do you think the high school basketball ecosystem can be
more optimized for better opportunities?
● From the results that we will acquire from the interview, I
will be able to figure out the empathy map, pains and gains
● The further results will help me to make an information
architecture, which will be further helpful in making user flow,
wireframing and prototyping.
● Please check out the below mentioned mobile and web
NBA G league:
Cric Heroes (India based cricket application)